Sunday 31 July 2011

The First Tomato

Living next to the "Greenhouse Capital of Canada" means that those living in Medicine Hat have fresh local produce almost all year round.  It tastes great and is far better than the vegetables that are shipped from the other site of the planet.  

Yesterday my wife and I made a Greek salad with local cucumbers and peppers.  For the tomato we used the first vine ripened tomato from our backyard garden.  Oh, my!  The flavour of that tomato burst into our mouths, out shining everything else in the salad.  At the first taste there was no doubt this fresh, red orb was just brimming with nutrition that the tomatoes we buy just don't have.   This is the reason we have a garden.  This is what we wait anxiously months for.  The taste and nutrition of a home grown, organic tomato is beyond compare.

It's a privilege that our society and technology have advanced to where we can have fresh produce year round.  We are healthier for it.  But the taste and nutritional value of homegrown, in season produce just cannot be matched.  That's why we have a garden.  If you don't have a garden you are missing something very special and when I eat my tomato I feel sorry for you.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Had my 2nd garden tomato; it was as good as the 1st! Unfortunately I don't have enough to share with everyone. It is a taste experience everyone should be able to experience.