Saturday 9 July 2011

Don't Believe Everything You Read on the Internet

The other day one of our front desk staff was looking at the weather forecast on the internet and excitedly announced that thunder showers were no longer in the forecast.  Low and behold a few hours later we had showers and thunder.  Although the meteorologists tried their best, the information they gave out was not accurate.  We know that Environment Canada is a reputable organization. I think we've all come to realize that when we look at the weather forecast, we need to always take the information with a grain of salt.  Granted they are trying to predict the future which is dicey at any time, but the point is that even information from a trusted source like Environment Canada is not always reliable.

Often information we get on the internet is from sources much less reliable than Environment Canada.  Yet the information obtained is considered to be valuable.  And it may be, but it may not be.  Opinion is often mistaken as fact.  Data may be taken out of context or may be false.  Like most of you, I use the internet to obtain information.  I also know that I need to confirm the validity of the site I get the information from and I need to confirm the information on other sites that are not directly connected to the first site.

I write this because so many of us go to the net to get information on health and health related issues.  There is an unfathomable amount of great information available that is accurate, but there is also a large amount of it that is not.  We need to be able to weed out the bad so we can feed on the good. 

This blog contains a great amount of opinion, which I've developed over the last 26 years as a chiropractor.  My hope is that it will stimulate you to think about chiropractic and natural health in some ways that you maybe wouldn't have otherwise.  I also try to present accurate data.  You don't have to believe everything I write, after all this is on the internet.  Evaluate my posts against other reputable sites and check my data.  Let me know how I'm doing.  Click the "Reactions" at the bottom of each post.  That's totally anonymous and easy to do.  Better yet post a comment; join the conversation.  Your opinion counts on the web.

No comments: