Tuesday 22 February 2011

The Mind & the Body

When he was still a stand up comedian, Bill Cosby taught me a very valuable lesson.  Although I didn't really grasp the significance of it until I was in my 30's.  The lesson: the mind and the body do not get along.  Mr. Cosby told us that in the dark the mind says, "We don't need to turn on the light, I know my way around this house."  Meanwhile the toes are saying, "Oh no you don't!  Please turn on the light!" (Paraphrased)  

As I started putting on a few years, I realized that my mind still thought I was young and physically invincible.  My body on the other hand knew it wasn't as resilient as it once had been.  The mind said, "That looks like fun!  Let's do it!"  And the body began to reply more frequently, "Oh no let's not.  I don't want to be hurt!"  More often than not the mind won out.  The mind of course always wanting to be in control.  

At this point in my life, although my mind still thinks I'm 25, the mind is paying more attention to the pleas of the body.  The mind is learning that the body is just not as resilient as it once was.  A tough lesson to learn.  As I watched the kids sledding yesterday at my church's toboggan party, my mind said, "Boy that looks like fun."  My body said,  "See how they are wiping out on the bumps.  That has to hurt."  The body won, thank goodness and I went home without a bruise. 

No comments: