Thursday 2 July 2015

30 Years of Adventure

30 years ago today I began practice in Medicine Hat, Alberta.  After graduating from Life Chiropractic College - West in December of 1984, my wife Pamela and I moved back to our home town of Medicine Hat to begin our careers as chiropractors.  With one young son and another on the way, I would practice solo until Pamela was comfortable leaving the boys. Graduating is one step to beginning practice.  National and provincial examinations needed to be successfully completed before a license would be issued to practice in Alberta.  On July 2, 1985 everything was in place for me to take over the Arcade Chiropractic Office from Dr. Ian Smith.  A great adventure began that day!

Looking back over the past 30 years, it has been an adventure indeed.  I have experienced and learned so much.  There have been many, many challenges and countless blessings. 
When I started practice, I thought I knew a great deal about chiropractic and health.  I was an honours grad after all.  Now, I know that I knew very little and that I still know just a tiny amount about the amazing human body.  That's one reason I am so thankful to be a chiropractor.  I don't need to know the minute workings of the body in order to help it.  I just need to know how to release it's potential.  That's what chiropractic does.  My job is to become ever more proficient at delivering chiropractic adjustments to enable my patients to experience the health they innately possess.  Along with the adjustments I have provided healthy lifestyle counseling to help people avoid the use of drugs and surgery whenever possible.

Upon reflection, there are many things from these years of practice that warm my heart.  There are the people who came to me, after having been everywhere and tried everything without success, and experienced a restoration of their health.  There are the young parents who were able to experience the joy of having a baby that didn't cry constantly.  There are the young children whom I adjusted who are now bringing their children to see me.  There are the smiles of the people who can sleep again, or walk again, or play again.  There the patients who have been able to return to work and support themselves and their families.  There are the support staff who have been able to be part of something greater than just having a job.  There are the associate doctors who have had the opportunity to develop skills to become great servant chiropractors.

I've also learned some other very important lessons.  Not everyone likes me or chiropractic.  I get fired on a regular basis.  I'm good with that.  Not all patients get the results either they or I desire, but I know their bodies are better for having been adjusted.  Not everyone values their health the way I value mine and they may not be prepared to work at, or invest in, being healthy the way I do.  Once I think I have things figured out, God sends someone through the door to prove me wrong.  Being the boss may seems like an enviable position, until the tough decisions need to be made and the tough actions need to be taken.  This has been 30 years of constant learning and it will continue to be as long as I am in practice.

Chiropractic has been good to me.  It has caused me to grow in innumerable ways.  It has given me a purpose bigger than myself.  There is no greater joy than helping people on a daily basis.  Chiropractic principles have guided me to live a healthy life.  I have been able to help my family be healthier as well.  Chiropractic has also given me and my family a very good and satisfying lifestyle.  I'm thankful every day that I'm a chiropractor and I have no desire to be in a different profession.  Let the adventure continue!  





3 comments:

EvaAndersen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
EvaAndersen said...

Hi Dear,

i Like Your Blog Very Much..I see Daily Your Blog ,is A Very Useful For me.

You can also find Chiropractor Victoria BC @ Juniperfamilyhealth

Juniperfamilyhealth offers chiropractor services in Victoria BC, Canada. We include osseous manipulation, active release therapy & corrective exercises.

Visit Now - http://juniperfamilyhealth.com/

tushar soni said...

Home Renovation Contractor Toronto
Home Renovation Contractor Toronto