Sunday 16 June 2013

Activator Methods Upgrading

Last weekend I participated in an Activator Methods Seminar.  The technique requires that in order to maintain my Advanced Proficiency status that at least once every year I attend a seminar to assure my competency in using the procedures.  This is something I really appreciate about Activator Methods.  They assure that all the doctors who are rated to use the technique, continue to maintain their competency.  This is important for patients and also for practitioners.

During the weekend our instructor, Dr. Rebecca Fischer, walked us through relevant research and showed us how to apply it in our practices.  Something that is not always easy to do is to take research and make it practical in a clinical setting.  In the rapidly changing health care world this is very valuable.  This year's focus was on osteoarthritis.  I appreciate not only the ongoing research that Activator Methods does but how they utilize research from many, varied sources to continually refine the technique.  There are few techniques that are so diligent.

Probably more important than the research however is the time spent on practical application over the course of the weekend.  Doctors are divided into basic, intermediate and advanced classes depending on their experience using Activator Methods.  In the advanced class with Dr. Fischer that I attended we spent a great deal of time refining our ability to use the technique.  That included hands on workshops, small group case studies, and a review of both old and new advanced procedures.  Nutrition, exercise, and lifestyle issues were integrated into the presentation and workshop.  This year the emphasis was on evaluating and treating the lower extremity.   Dr. Fischer and her helpers evaluated each attendee on their competency in using the Activator analysis.  It is wonderful to have this done every year.  It's amazing how many bad habits a person develops and this seminar always helps to bring back my focus.  There are also those, "Man I totally forgot about that test!" moments.

Not insignificant is the opportunity to connect with other like minded doctors.  This is often the only occasion where I get chance to see these people, may of whom are not from Alberta.  Time is spent sharing good and bad things that happen in our practices.  There is great value in this time of informal exchange.  I come away with a great confidence in many of the doctors I want to refer to and also recognize some I don't want to send patients to.

I commend Activator Methods for maintaining a system of quality control through their annual seminar requirement.  It's good for me as a doctor and also good for my patients.  For me it is not a burden, but a privilege to maintain my proficiency with Activator Methods.

No comments: