Tuesday 24 January 2012

Massage Therapy

To say I was over due for a good massage was an understatement.  I usually have a therapeutic massage every 3 - 4 weeks.  It had been almost 8 weeks.  When I go that long been massages, the experience is not usually real pleasant.  My muscles tighten up too much over that length of time.  It is easier on both me and the therapist when I get massaged regularly.  The massage therapists at Powers & Jans Centre don't usually have mercy on me either, so I try to avoid neglecting my massages.

There are good reasons to get a massage regularly.  Therapeutic massage produces a host of beneficial effects in the body.  These include improving flexibility, muscle tone, blood flow, and lymphatic drainage.  This helps promote soft tissue healing.  Massage helps to increase dopamine and serotonin levels in the body enhancing a person's sense of well being.  The immune system is also stimulated.  Massage is also extremely beneficial in stress reduction.

As chiropractors we find that therapeutic massage works very complementary to our chiropractic adjustments.  We regularly coordinate massages and adjustments for a variety of conditions including headaches, neck pain, back pain, and sprains/strains.  Shoulder, arm, hip, knee and leg problems also benefit from combined treatments.


From my personal stand point, I function better when I get a therapeutic massage on a regular basis.  Not only are my muscles less tense, but my overall motion is improved.  As part of an overall strategy to maintain health, all of the benefits listed above are important.  Having a healthy lifestyle involves putting together many pieces, all of which lead to the end result of health.  No one thing will make us healthy.  Therapeutic massage can be a very valuable component of a healthy lifestyle.  It certainly is for me.


Even though I regret that it was so long between massages, Amanda was kind to me.  There were a few areas that were quite sore as she worked on them but I felt so much better when she was done.  I promise Amanda, I won't go so long between massages again. 

No comments: