Tuesday 1 March 2011

The Greatest Thrill

Helping people without the use of drugs or surgery was one of the prime motivations for me becoming a chiropractor.  There have been so many situations where people with very difficult conditions have responded wonderfully to my chiropractic care.  I am regularly in awe at what the human body can do when given the opportunity to heal itself.  Thrilled may be an understatement of my emotion when it happens.  As a chiropractor I realize that my role is to simply remove the blockages to the body's healing. 

There is one type of condition that thrills me, above all others, when it responds to chiropractic adjustments.  This is the very fussy baby.  The situation is that the baby isn't sleeping, mom & dad haven't slept in maybe weeks, and everyone is at their wits end.  I truly do not know what is making the baby so fussy.  There are many possibilities and many theories.  What I do know is that if the baby's spine is not functioning properly, the baby cannot be healthy.  Seemingly minor spinal dysfunction can cause great distress to a baby.  These spinal problems may be the result of the birth process.


If the baby is found to have a spinal problem a very gentle chiropractic adjustment can start the corrective process.  Because the problem is new, in comparison to adult problems, it usually responds quickly.  There have been so many of these babies I have adjusted over the years who have become different children almost overnight.  The crying gives way to cooing.  Many moms have told me they had to get up in the night to see if the baby was still alive because they couldn't believe the baby could sleep so well.  I guess if we hadn't had a good sleep for weeks we'd be pretty tired too; like the babies seem to be.  To see the fussy baby become content and the young parents able to enjoy the baby and life - that is still the greatest thrill I have as a chiropractor.  

The thrill goes on because I also know that not only is the baby more comfortable for today, but I have also had a positive influence on it's future health.  Absolutely thrilling! 

No comments: